Governor Corbett intends to release the bare bones of his vision for a new direction for Pennsylvania on Tuesday.
His road map is expected to cover the dismantling of WAMS or Walking Around Money. The much maligned, out of view from the public, process of handing tens of millions of dollars to lawmakers for their own specialized pork. The Co-Founders of Rock The Capital have derided the process for years.
Corbett has also expressed a sincere interest in scaling the legislative surplus back, which has ballooned, to almost $190 million, and the newly elected Republican governor wants legislators to start documenting per-diem expenses, another idea that RTC along with others has long advocated.
Among some of the other ideas said to be brewing in Corbett’s lobes; require members of the House to follow the senate’s lead in paying for some of their health-care and the creation of an online database so, taxpayers can see how their money is being spent.
Corbett told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review he is sizing-up other wholesale changes for employees but declined specifically to cite them, “‘We’ll continue to do more,”‘ he said. ”‘Its not like, ‘Here’s the plan’ and that’s it.’”
During the race, Corbett said he would have a plan ready for lawmakers on his first day in office. Critics have observed that day has already come and gone. Corbett told the paper that, “substantive change requires working with lawmakers.
“‘The surplus and walking around money will be taken up during budget talks with leaders,” said Corbett’s spokesman Kevin Harley.
In the meantime, the House is already taking up the reigns to eliminate state fleet cars, require proof for per diem spending, and passing on some health care costs to members of the House.
Powered by Facebook Comments
- Richard Nixon: The Last Liberal President? ~ Economy, Energy & Environment, Featured, Legal, Political 28 Jul, at 12 : 27 PM
- Jumping Aboard Fracking’s Fossil Fuel Carousel ~ Economy, Energy & Environment, Featured, Marcellus Shale, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 10 Oct, at 11 : 50 AM
- Tom Corbett’s Sizzle has Fizzled ~ Economy, Education, Energy & Environment, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 10 Sep, at 12 : 10 PM
- Top Ten Richest Countries of the World ~ Economy, Featured 5 Aug, at 11 : 47 AM
- PA Pension Debt: $69 billion ~ Featured 7 Nov, at 16 : 28 PM