Pennsyvlania Auditor General Jack Wagner has found a way for the state to save as much as $350 million dollars over the next four years. Wagner’s formula is tied to inmates and correctional facilities.
Wagner is now urging Governor Tom Corbett and the General Assembly to take on several reforms including better ways to use an existing alternative-sentencing program.
The auditor general noted that over,19,000 inmates, 39 percent of the state’s prison population is made up of non-violent offenders at a cost that has tripled over the past 30 years. Find ways to give these folks more opportunity and there is no longer a need to house them on the state dime.
And, Wagner observed that if Pennsylvania adopted this, it would, at least for now, mean not having to build more prisons, which adds up to saving hundreds of millions of dollars.
“With Pennsylvania facing its greatest budget crisis since the Great Depression, we must look for sustainable savings in every nook and cranny of state government, and that includes the criminal-justice system, which is one of the three biggest drivers of increased spending over the past decade,” Wagner said.
Pennsylvania had the fastest-growing prison population in 2009. Wagner said tougher sentencing guidelines for non-violent crimes is costing the state more than it can realistically afford.
(Rock The Capital’s Tom Dochat wrote about the cost of prison and inmates a few months ago and you can read his piece by clicking here. Eric Epstein has also sized this up well in a piece he recently wrote.)
Powered by Facebook Comments
- Richard Nixon: The Last Liberal President? ~ Economy, Energy & Environment, Featured, Legal, Political 28 Jul, at 12 : 27 PM
- Jumping Aboard Fracking’s Fossil Fuel Carousel ~ Economy, Energy & Environment, Featured, Marcellus Shale, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 10 Oct, at 11 : 50 AM
- Tom Corbett’s Sizzle has Fizzled ~ Economy, Education, Energy & Environment, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 10 Sep, at 12 : 10 PM
- Top Ten Richest Countries of the World ~ Economy, Featured 5 Aug, at 11 : 47 AM
- Five Guys to the Rescue ~ Featured, Legal 7 May, at 11 : 15 AM