( An update to a story Rock The Capital first told you about in October. The NRC is delaying its decision over money apparently set aside to decommission Three Mile Island’s Unit 2. The reason behind the delay is articulated in this letter NRC decision.)
By anyone’s standards –- even the nuclear industry, 31 years is a long time; not only are the years since the nuclear core-melt down at Three Mile Island stacking up, so, is the money.
The cost of the clean-up was originally pegged at about $104.7 million in 1979. To complete the same job Today at Unit-2 would cost more than 830 million dollars –- an increase of nearly $730 million dollars. By anyone’s book, that is a ton of cash.
Today, Eric Epstein, Chairman of TMI-Alert, filed a petition before the Nuclear Regulatory Commission seeking something that has not happened in more than three decades, enforcement.
Epstein’s petition requests that the NRC require site-specific information from FirstEnergy, and financial guarantees that prove it has enough money to decommission and decontaminate Unit-2.
“After 31 years of broken promises, faulty assumptions, and inaccurate projections, the NRC should hold FirstEnergy accountable and demand a site-specific-fund plan in the nation’s worst commercial nuclear accident,” said Epstein.
TMI-Alert is gravelly concerned about a proposed merger between FirstEnergy and Allegheny, which Epstein said, “could endanger an already fragile funding protocol. At a minimum, the proposed merger must be held in abeyance until FirstEnergy can demonstrate that it has adequate funding in place to decommission Three Mile Island Unit-2 in 2036 – 57 years after the accident.”
No money was set aside for decommissioning Unit-2 and according to the NRC, FirstEnergy’s decommissioning trust fund is grossly underfunded.
(Epstein is the chairman of Three Mile Island Alert, a safe energy organization founded in 1977. He is also a founder of this website, RocktheCapital.)
Powered by Facebook Comments
- Richard Nixon: The Last Liberal President? ~ Economy, Energy & Environment, Featured, Legal, Political 28 Jul, at 12 : 27 PM
- ‘Made in America’ Just a Political Slogan to Conservatives ~ Energy & Environment, Featured, Watch Dog 10 Feb, at 13 : 48 PM
- Five Guys to the Rescue ~ Featured, Legal 7 May, at 11 : 15 AM
- Former state treasurer’s guilty plea puts his public pension at risk ~ Featured, Legal, Pennsylvania Issues, Political, Watch Dog 7 Feb, at 22 : 02 PM
- PA Pension Debt has passed $66 billion ~ Featured, Pennsylvania Issues, Political, Watch Dog 6 May, at 11 : 31 AM