When 60 minutes airs a segment on the Marcellus Shale this Sunday, an environmental group expects the majority of viewers to come away with a better understanding of the risks and dangers drilling poses.
“Cleaning up the natural gas industry is of critical concern to our executive director and organization. We have spent a lot of time trying to educate about the dangers of a poorly regulated industry and we want to make people aware,” said Oliver Bernstein.
Bernstein told Rock The Capital that Sierra Club’s Executive Director Michael Brune has spent a considerable amount of time traveling through impacted areas, such as Dimock, in fact, Berstein says the interview Brune did with 60 minutes was shot near that town.
Bernstein says Brune came away with a deep perspective, and ”a lot of examples of the natural gas industry failing our communities.”
Its not that Sierra is dead-set against fracking, in a limited way its supportive because gas trapped in shale is cleaner than coal or oil. However, from Sierra’s perspective it is far from a clean industry and without tougher state and federal laws to protect air and water its support will waver.
Bernstein says they do not know what portion of the interview will air; like everyone else we will just have to wait until Sunday,” and the expectation is that viewers will come away knowing that the environmental group is “committed to drawing even more attention to cleaning up the industry.”
To see a clip of the 60 Minutes segment click watch
Powered by Facebook Comments
- I have Questions; The Candidates Don’t Have Answers ~ Debates, Featured, Political 5 Nov, at 19 : 48 PM
- Romney v. Obama: The Debate That Wasn’t ~ Debates, Political 5 Oct, at 07 : 48 AM
- Standardized Exams are not about Standards ~ Debates, Education, Featured 24 May, at 08 : 22 AM
- Rock The Capital Minute ~ Debates, Energy & Environment, Legal, Pennsylvania Issues, Political, RTC Media, Satire 16 May, at 10 : 14 AM
- A Surplus in Name Only ~ Debates, Economy, Featured, Legal, Pennsylvania Issues, Political, Video 11 May, at 11 : 31 AM