The holiday spirit is starting to percolate, which is what inspired me to donate free time to Rock The Capital, which pales so deeply by comparison to what dozens of America’s wealthiest taxpayers have pledged to do for the good of country.
A group of millionaires, roughly 40 at last count, recently forged an alliance with one goal in mind, end the Bush era tax cuts for folks earning more than a million dollars a year.
There are some real heavyweights in this group including Ben, as in ice cream Ben, of Ben and Jerry’s. Pennsylvania is represented in the form of Daniel Berger who hails from the City of Brotherly Love.
The group, which has taken to calling itself “Patriotic Millionaires for Fiscal Strength,” sent its plea to the web in an open letter sent President Obama:
“We have done very well over the last several years. Now, during our nation’s moment of need, we are eager to do our fair share. We don’t need more tax cuts, and we understand that cutting our taxes will increase the deficit and the debt burden carried by other taxpayers. The country needs to meet its financial obligations in a just and responsible way. Letting tax cuts for incomes over $1,000,000 expire, is an important step in that direction.”
This group of new found financial chums is savvy enough to know that even if every millionaire folded up the cash and mailed it back to the IRS — it won’t add up to a hill of beans. The point is to do something that feels right, sends a clear message, and will perhaps in a pint-sized way inspire those that hold the keys to take the right turn.
As Salon Blogger, Joe Conason points out in his piece, the on the day the “Patriotic Millionaire’s” website appeared, the Center for Responsive Politics released a study that found that half of the members of the House and Senate are millionaires. The study compared to the general population which can boast fewer than 1 percent are millionaires.
Powered by Facebook Comments
- Money and Water Flow Naturally Away From Their Source ~ Business, Economy, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 16 Nov, at 07 : 57 AM
- Don’t Count Out the Labor Movement ~ Business, Featured, Political 31 Aug, at 07 : 19 AM
- Top Sales Tax States ~ Business, Featured 30 Jul, at 09 : 19 AM
- Marcellus-Related Plant Offered $2 Billion to Come to Pa. ~ Business, Economy, Energy & Environment, Featured, Marcellus Shale, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 12 Jun, at 07 : 11 AM
- Top Ten Reforms Ignored by Governor Corbett and the Legislature ~ Business, Economy, Energy & Environment, Featured, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 24 Oct, at 09 : 25 AM