The “mess” is located at Three Mile Island’s, Unit 2, just outside Harrisburg. The unit has not been thoroughly decontaminated since the partial core meltdown in 1979.
Eric Epstein, one of the founders of Rock The Capital and Chairman of TMI-Alert filed a petition in October asking the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to audit a fund that was set up years ago to decontaminate and decommission TMI-2.
The NRC, last week agreed, that there is enough merit to push Epstein’s petition, known as a 2.206, forward. Epstein asserted in his October filing that FirstEnergy does not have enough money to decommission, let alone further decontaminate the site.
As Epstein noted the cost estimate is pegged at $831.5 million and the trust fund as of 2008 was woefully underfunded with a balance of $484.5 million.
The scrutiny arrives at a time when First Energy has proposed merging with Allegheny, which Epstein says will further complicate and cloud the matter. As Epstein put it, “the proposed merger must be held in abeyance until First Energy can demonstrate that it has adequate funding in place to decommission Three Mile Island Unit 2 in 2036 — 57 years after the accident.”
Will the NRC hold FirstEnergy accountable? Diane Screnci, a spokesperson for the NRC told Rock The Capital, “we will look at what was provided to us and determine what if any action we need to take.”
If the NRC rules in Epstein’s favor, it can prevent the power company merger.
The NRC is expected to issue a decision by March 2011.
The NRC has long maintained the site poses no public health or safety issue, but says it is possible to clean it.
FirstEnergy has not returned calls to Rock The Capital.
FirstEnergy, owns seven electric companies including Penelec, serving roughly 4.5 million customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey.
Powered by Facebook Comments
- Money and Water Flow Naturally Away From Their Source ~ Business, Economy, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 16 Nov, at 07 : 57 AM
- Don’t Count Out the Labor Movement ~ Business, Featured, Political 31 Aug, at 07 : 19 AM
- Top Sales Tax States ~ Business, Featured 30 Jul, at 09 : 19 AM
- Marcellus-Related Plant Offered $2 Billion to Come to Pa. ~ Business, Economy, Energy & Environment, Featured, Marcellus Shale, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 12 Jun, at 07 : 11 AM
- Top Ten Reforms Ignored by Governor Corbett and the Legislature ~ Business, Economy, Energy & Environment, Featured, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 24 Oct, at 09 : 25 AM