The Most Popular Christmas Tree Species Sold in North America
by Steve Nix, About.com Guide
#1 – Fraser Fir Fraser fir was named for Scot botanist John Fraser who explored the southern
Appalachians in the late 1700′s.
#2 – Douglas Fir The tree was named after David Douglas who studied the tree in the 1800′s.
#3 – Balsam Fir - The tree was named for the balsam or resin found in blisters on bark and which
was used to treat wounds in Civil War.
#4 – Colorado Blue SpruceThe spruce was chosen in 1978 and planted as the official living White
House Lawn Christmas tree.
# 5 – Scotch Pine A true pine, Scots pine was imported from Europe and is not native to America.
It was first used in reforestation efforts in the New World.
#6 – Eastern Red Cedar The Eastern red cedar is mainly a regional favorite and has been a traditional Christmas tree of the South.
#7 – White Spruce White spruce is a tree of the northeast US and Canada. The tree is excellent for
heavy ornaments. White spruce is the state tree of South Dakota.
#8 – Eastern White Pine - White pine has been valued as a timber tree for centuries but can be cultivated for a Christmas tree if heavily sheared. The tree is sought by people who suffer from allergic reactions to more fragrant trees.
#9 – White Fir or Concolor Fir White fir is one of the longest-needled firs and is sometimes mistaken for a pine.
#10 – Virginia Pine Virginia pine has only recently been used as a Christmas tree. It tolerates warmer temperatures and has been developed as a southern alternative to Scotch pine.
Powered by Facebook Comments
- RTC Comments on PO Box for e-mails ~ Featured, Pennsylvania Issues, Political, Watch Dog 1 Oct, at 16 : 31 PM
- Rock the Capital To Set Up Anonymous Post Office Box to Collect Complaints Relating to Inappropriate E-mails ~ Featured, Pennsylvania Issues, Political, Press Releases, Watch Dog 30 Sep, at 09 : 43 AM
- The Politics of Animal Cruelty ~ Featured, Pennsylvania Issues, Political, Watch Dog 30 Sep, at 09 : 45 AM
- Top Ten Renewable Energy Nations ~ Featured 29 Sep, at 07 : 03 AM
- Millionaire to welfare: A case of the accuser judged by the accused ~ Featured, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 27 Sep, at 12 : 38 PM