Recycling is catching on in Pennsylvania and spreading like wildfire. Governor Ed Rendell noted that residents recycled 5.48 million tons of in 2008 — apparently that is the most recent figure available.
A tonnage figure none the less worth taking note of because it represents more than 1.5 million tons more of waste put to good use than in 2002.
Rendell’s praise for communities leading the charge will come in the form of $17.8 million in grants. That money will benefit recycling programs in 478 communities spread across 58 counties.
“That’s incredibly important because recycling benefits our environment and it benefits our economy, as well. As a state, we’ve recycled more than 37 million tons of material in the past eight years. Rather than businesses and families paying to dispose of those items in a landfill, they’re turning them into new raw materials that manufacturers can use at a lower cost than it takes buy new materials,” said Rendell.
The Money behind those grants is wrapped up in ACT 101 which was created in 1988; requiring communities with certain populations to offer recycling programs.
According to the Governor’s office, recycled goods support more than 3800 businesses and organizations; accounting for more than $20.6 billion in gross annual sales, while providing jobs for more than 52,000 people.
“We have a good track record on recycling because because Pennsylvanians want to do what’s right for their environment,” said Rendell. “We’re committed to recycling today and for years to come because it’s important,” said Rendell.
Powered by Facebook Comments
- No Merit Badge for This Scout ~ Energy & Environment, Featured, Marcellus Shale, Pennsylvania Issues 6 Mar, at 13 : 25 PM
- An open letter opposing PSATS’ endorsement of Marcellus bills HB1950 and SB1100 ~ Energy & Environment, Featured, Marcellus Shale, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 18 Feb, at 10 : 53 AM
- Train Derailments Another of Fracking’s Problems ~ Energy & Environment, Marcellus Shale, Pennsylvania Issues 28 Jan, at 08 : 47 AM
- No Area Safe From Fracking ~ Energy & Environment, Featured, Marcellus Shale, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 20 Nov, at 11 : 11 AM
- Jumping Aboard Fracking’s Fossil Fuel Carousel ~ Economy, Energy & Environment, Featured, Marcellus Shale, Pennsylvania Issues, Political 10 Oct, at 11 : 50 AM